I was planning on going to Sevilla and Granada this weekend to meet up with Joe Leiker, a guy from Topeka. I was really excited about it. I packed last night so I´d be ready to go today after school, I had everything ready except money. I´m completely out of cash so I went to the ATM to withdraw a bit of cash for the trip (though I´d already bought bus tickets and reserved a bed in a hostel online with my credit card). The machine kept telling me I´d entered the wrong PIN, so I entered a few more numbers that I thought might be it. Then I tried the original PIN and clicked ´´current account´´ instead of ´´credit account´´ (that´s what I´d been pressing because I was taking money off a credit card). It turned out that ´´current account´´ was the correct answer, and my original PIN number worked, but by then I´d entered 3 other numbers and so they put a freeze on my account and kept my credit card. It was a 4:15, the banks here all close at 2:00 so I couldn´t go in to claim it.
I´ve been a lot more emotionally volatile lately, so the whole ordeal was pretty upsetting. I told Belén what had happened when I got home. She couldn´t understand why I was so upset. I told her I was really looking forward to the trip, but didn´t tell her the other part of why I was upset -- that being alone all weekend sucks hardcore and makes me really lonely and homesick. I´ve also been getting weird vibes from her the past couple days, like she was mad at me about something. I asked her about this. She explained that she and Raquel were sort of annoyed with me because I haven´t bought any of the communal household stuff (napkins, tin foil etc) but was about to go on a trip. Also because they thought I wasn´t doing my fair share of household chores. She said she had been thinking that she´d been wrong about me, that I wasn´t the kind of person she thought I was.
I explained that the only reason I was going on the trip was because weekends alone are very lonely, and I was planning on buying all of the kitchen stuff when I got paid (we´d agreed to that a while back), and didn´t know that she had such a tight budget and had been making sacrifices in her shopping. I also told her we have different standards for how clean the apartment needs to be, and that I hadn´t cleaned because it hadn´t looked dirty to me....plus I do a lot more dishes than they do, and I´m the only one who takes the trash to the garbage bin that´s a block away because that stuff seems more important to me.
The whole thing probably sounds trivial, but it actually was a pretty good ´heart-to-heart.´ I cried...she rubbed my back and told me not to cry...etc. So even though I´m still in Toledo, and my credit card is in the cajero up the street, today has a happy ending because Belén isn´t mad at me anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hang in there! Jeez, sounds like they're rough on you. So you paid for the bus ticket and hostel and didn't even get to use it? I hope you didn't spend too much money on that. Do you feel better after writing about it? That helps me sometimes!
Post a Comment