Monday, October 1, 2007

1st day of school

Today was my first day of my first post-college job. I almost didn´t make it to the meeting spot on the other side of town because the bus was 8 minutes early and I had to run to catch it. I drove to Yunclillos with Nuria and Miriam (the English teacher who doesn´t speak English). I spent the morning just mostly observing...first in Miriam´s class of 9 kids, then in a different class with those same 9 kids plus 12 more. The second class was an English class with a teacher named Lola ;) She had me introduce myself, but I don´t think the kids understood much of what I said. They don´t know as much english as I was expecting them to. They´re also learning British english, they work out of this ´´Bugs Band´´ book and write things like ´´Have you got a sister?´´ ´´She´s got a guitar´´and ´´Fruits have the seeds.´´ It seems like they are just learning random words and phrases, but don´t really know pronunciation or any type of spontaneous conversation. I thought I would be talking to them more, having basic, simple conversations with them, but I think it´s going to be more just saying words and having them repeat them. In Miriam´s class this afternoon I told them how to say ´´acorns, walnuts, apple, pear, peach, grapes, lemon and cherries´´ and then had each student repeat all the words. I think things might change though when Isabel returns.

My two roommates went home for the weekend, like they do every weekend, but Belin came back last night. We talked for a long time, showed each other pictures of home and friends. I showed her the picture from the Buddy Walk of all of us with the banner. She asked about everyone´s name and then spent the next 5-10 minutes memorizing everyone´s names! ´´´Carey´´ was the hardest for her...´´Berkley´´ also gave her some trouble.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter