Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1st day of AMPA classes

Yesterday I began teaching the afterschool classes that AMPA is paying me for. The first group was four mothers. Three of them knew virtually no English, one knew a little bit and said she doesn´t know if she´ll be back next week...I guess she was bored. But the other three seemed to enjoy it. I was a bit nervous before the class started, but since there were only four students it was pretty relaxed. I asked if they wanted to buy some sort of English workbook to study from etc, but they didn´t (Isabel says they´re cheap) so I made a bunch of copies today from Nuría´s English books, so that should last me a while.

The group of little kids was adorable, there were 5 in all, ranging from 5 years to 3rd grade. It was by far the easiest group, I read a story, sang songs and played games with them and they seemed to really have fun. They´re so enthusiastic about everything.

The last group was supposed to be three 6th graders and a 5th grader, but only one boy showed up. We went over parts of the face and body and then played hangman. His spelling and knowledge of the sounds of letters was pretty poor. I´m really glad I didn´t bring Boggle.

Rosa, the mom who drove me to catch the bus back to Toledo, told me they will probably cancel that last class due to lack of attendance. But I think they might want me to teach it one more week, just to see if anyone else shows up. The was the group I was most anxious about, because their English isn´t that good, but they also seem to be getting to that age where they´re not as enthusiastic about learning and maybe too cool for some games. If anyone has any ideas for things to do with 1-4 6th graders please let me know!

1 comment:

Dutch Vander Laan said...

Hanna
Hang in there You can do what ever they ask of you. Remember when you fall behind you hit the ball harder and place it better than your opponent.

Now that we know how to find you we will keep in touch.

How did you come out in the tennis rematch?

Later
Uncle Dave or (Dutch)

 

Free Blog Counter