Wednesday, October 31, 2007

seññooooor

Yesterday was round three of after school classes. It went fairly well, though I think I went a little fast with the mothers, and also ran out of time with the kids. They were so slow making Little Red Riding Hood puppets that we didn´t have time to play Halloween BINGO with candy corn. I liked them better when there were only five, now there are seven, ranging from 5 to 9 years old and things are a bit more hectic. My youngest kid, Carlos, talks to me almost the entire time in a sort of monotone whine --
´´Seññooor, what do I do now?´´
´´Seññooor, look, I only drew 6 legs on the spider not 8.´´
´´Seññooor, will you help me cut this?´´
´´Seññooor, my scissors are glued together.´´
I´m not quite sure why he calls me Señor.

But despite the neediness and wide range of abilities they´re still adorable. After class Maria, who is 6 and almost never talks, asked if she could take home one of the puzzles they´d played with that day (by ´puzzle´ I mean pieces of the worksheet with labelled Halloween drawings that I´d cut up into rectangles). Of course I agreed and she asked if she could keep it ´´para siempre´´ (forever). My heart melted a little and I said yes and helped her put it in her little jacket pocket. Then as I was rearranging the desks I found a few pieces of the ´puzzle´ she´d taken and hoped she didn´t actually try to put it together again.

1 comment:

Carey said...

ahhh, so sweet those kids sound! I hope you saved those pieces for her that you found after class. Will you see her tomorrow so you can give them to her? I think she would be so excited to see you saved them for her. She probably did go right home and try to put it together. Poor kid!

Miss you HB!!!

 

Free Blog Counter