Sunday, November 4, 2007

Guadalajara

This weekend I went to Guadalajara with Isabel and Felipe. It was wonderful. Friday we
drove to his parents´house
met the parents
drove to a small town called Sigüenza
met Javier
checked out Javier´s brand new posh car
went to a castle
to a cathedral
to a bar
drove to an even smaller town
ate bocadillos de tortilla
accidentally used the men´s restroom
walked to the ruins of a castle
drove back to Guadalajara
met Felipe´s aunt, uncle, cousin
went to an outdoor theatre where each scene is in a different location
to a bar
met Felipe´s friends
got drunk
went to another bar
danced till 5am

Saturday morning we left at 11:30 to go climb this mountain they´d been telling me about on Friday. Everyone was talking about how difficult it was, it takes 3 hours to the top, it´s very steep etc. Isabel and Felipe kept saying no, she´ll be fine, ´´es deportista, es deportisa.´´ But after the drinks, the dancing, and the somewhat nauseating hour long car trip to the base of the mountain, I wasn´t feeling very athletic. Once we got going, however, I felt fine. The weather and scenery were gorgeous and it ended up being a perfect day.

Last night we went to a dinner party at another friends´ house. They all drank expensive wine because they´re members of a wine club (minus Susana, who announced last night she´s pregnant, and me, as I didn´t feel up to two consecutive nights of drinking). We played darts and karaoke and went out to a couple bars.

Today we went to Felipe´s grandma´s house for lunch. Felipe´s mom showed me tablecloths, napkins, doilies, and a regional dress -- all of which she´d made by hand. (Apparently when she was in school little girls all learned sewing.)

On the way back home we were pulled over by two cops on motorcycles. I couldn´t hear what they were saying, but heard Isabel and Felipe telling the one cop ´´es que es norteamericana´´, ´´es americana´´. So I knew they were talking about me but still didn´t understand what was up. Then the second cop came over and Felipe knew him somehow, so they let us go. Turns out that, because I was wearing my seatbelt below my shoulder and not across my collarbone, they thought I wasn´t wearing it. Had Felipe not known that cop, I would´ve had a 90 euro fine for (allegedly) not wearing my seatbelt!

pictures from the weekend : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055535&l=a7b2e&id=36106375

1 comment:

Carey said...

Wow that does look like a tough walk!!! Especially on a hangover! They look like really nice people... but it looks like you're always with a bunch of guys. I bet they think you're a HOT American!!? Is it extra sunny there? You can see the shadow of the person taking the pix a lot.

P.S. I like your shirt.

 

Free Blog Counter