No, Carey, I didn´t understand what the gypsy woman said. I think the piano might have still been playing and it was pretty loud. I wish I was almost fluent, but I have such a long way to go. I can tell I´m getting better, but my level of understanding still depends a lot on so many factors -- background noise, the person who´s speaking, the topic of conversation, how tired or distracted I am, etc. And last night my confidence was dealt a blow by Belén at dinner.
Merle was over, the three of us were chatting and talking about how Laura´s coming on Sunday. Belén asked if she knew Spanish, and I said yes, and was about to qualify it with ´´some´´ or something like that, but before I did Belén asked ´´more than you?´´ and I said no, and she said ´´well then she doesn´t know Spanish.´´ So that stung. With one sentence she offended me and the luvie. I didn´t say anything, but nonetheless couldn´t contain the shocked look on my face. She saw it, and said something about how I know English, and she doesn´t, but that didn´t help at all. How can she compare my Spanish to her English, granted she´s had mandatory english classes in school, but she´s not making any sort of effort at actually learning the language, whereas I´m here watching The Sopranos in Spanish with Spanish subtitles...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i thought belen was your friend..................ouch is right! so are you saying we can speak in english really really fast and they won't know what we are talking about and then we can laugh really really hard and carry on and on. ohhhhhhhhhhh, how fun!
oooh, Hannah that's not so nice! You know though I've learned different cultures have different ideas of rude and it goes both ways. Sometimes we say things they think are off the wall and completely rude and then other times they have no idea they're being rude. So sorry about that, keep your chin up!
P.S. who's babs?
eeeww... im really annoyed. What a puta! I'm not speaking ANY spanish to her. i dislike her already...
Post a Comment