Tuesday, September 25, 2007
i´m not dead
it´s been a crazy and overwhelming but awesome day. On the way to Chicago I sat next to some newlyweds on their way to Greece for their honeymoon. We chatted a bit and I found out they both graduated from Truman State in 2002, how weird is that? I slept about 30 minutes on the plane from Chicago to Philadelphia, but couldn´t sleep on the overseas flight. Instead I watched 4 Penn & Tellers and the cheesy movie ´300´´. My bags were very heavy and it took a long time to walk to the Metro. Once on the Metro, I had to ask the woman next to me how to get to my destination (I relied a lot on strangers today). She was very helpful and explained that I would have to get on at least 2 more different metro lines. I regretted not telling her about the lipstick on her front tooth after she was so helpul to me. After the metro took me to Atocha, I took the train to Toledo. I had to change some money first, and the woman behind the glass asked for my passport to do the exchange, then she pointed out something on my passport to the man working with her and they both laughed quite a bit. I almost cried when getting on the train because my bags were so heavy and all the low spots were taken, so I had to lift one of them up to the overhead compartment...there was a line of people behind me...I was really tired. But the train ride got a lot better because I sat next to a guy from Venezuela and we chatted for the entire 30 minute ride, mostly in Spanish. He was visiting his daughter, who he hadn´t seen in a year. He cried a bit when he told me that and showed me her picture. He had a much smaller personal space bubble than I did, but it was okay because he was so nice, encouraged me to practice my spanish with him and even told me it was good. Isabel, one of the english teachers at my school, picked me up at the train station in Toledo. She is awesome (more later). Because of her I have an apartment with two college girls, ages 19 and 20. It´s kind of old, like 60s or 70s, but looked more ´spanish´than the other two places I looked at, and the girls seemed nicer. They don´t speak any English, which is sweet. ´My room is big, (plenty of room for visitors!) and its in a really good location, close to a big park, bus stop, shops etc. Still haven´t been to the old part of town that you see in all the pictures, but will go tomorrow. I haven´t slept in about 30 hours though, so that´s it for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hannah, this is all so awesome. With two non English speaking roomates, you should be fluent in about a week. Can you imagine your travels without a rolling suitecase? Love you!
Post a Comment